Junior Golf Camp at the University Golf Course
Join our E-Club
Sign up for the UMGC
and stay up to date on the latest events, specials, and deals
All sessions will take place Monday thru Friday. Camp will run from 9:00-3:00, with a half an hour for drop off and pick up. Friday is a half day, and pick up will begin at noon.
From 9:00-11:30 every day, the golfers will receive group instruction from PGA members and apprentices. They will receive instruction, be given drills, and play games to improve their coordination of movement, as well as their golf skills.
Lunch will be catered by Mulligan's Grill Monday thru Thursday. After lunch every day, the instructors will take the golfers on the course for 9 holes. Here, the golfers will improve their games in a hands-on environment.
Our vision is to develop University of Maryland Junior Golfers with the correct knowledge of the game while creating an environment where golf is a sport about having fun, building integrity and enjoying time spent with family & friends.
The program is designed to meet learning and development needs for players of all levels from beginners to Junior Elite players.
University of Maryland Junior Golf Program’s main mission is to attract, maintain and grow in attendance of junior golfers.
- To develop young golfers into golfers that understand, appreciate and thrive in the golf community as players of the game.
- To develop golfers that desire to play at the highest levels of golf in America.
- To develop golfers that love to play GOLF.
Our junior golf camp is designed to not only develop better golfers, but develop better athletes as well. Golf is a sport and people play sports for development of mind and body.
Our intent is to develop junior golfers through a development model that is defined as Long Term Athletic Development. Long Term Athletic Development is a framework that aims to develop each junior golfer in an effort to enable him or her to reach their full potential in golf and as an athlete.
Our framework is broken down into two areas:
Skipping, Jumping, Hopping, Throwing, Catching, Striking
Putting, Chipping, Pitching, Bunkers, Full Swing, General Knowledge
- Goal Setting—understanding that there is value in setting up a desired outcome that sometimes scares us but moves us forward both in golf and in development
- Fundamentals of the Golf Game—including basic swing technique and short game instruction
- Integration of the Core Values of the Golf Game—ranging from proper etiquette to good sportsmanship; values which can be useful both on and off the course
- Instruction on and around the golf course to familiarize juniors with ‘real world’ playing conditions
- Small group environment to provide hands-on instruction and attention to each junior participant
- Etiquette—understanding the framework of expected behavior in the game and how this relates to our interactions with others
Our summer camp is offered to juniors ages 6-17 and of all ability levels.
Students will be placed together in small groups (5-7 students) of like age/ability and receive instruction in each golf area. This structured instruction will allow each student to maximize building their golf skills and provide more personalized instruction. Time on the golf course will be divided between actual play, structured instructional segments, and on course demonstrations by golf staff which allows instructors to teach concepts and cover parts of the golf game more comprehensively. Our goal is to focus on instruction, increased practice time at the various stations, present new ideas and concepts, and allow for maximum retention of skills taught each session.
The classes offered will be a blend of instruction on the practice facilities, on-course supervised play, and opportunities for 3, 6 or 9-hole scrambles. Features will also include complimentary range balls during lessons and practice times. Rental clubs are available and a purchase program is an option in which a family can buy the correct size clubs for their child and trade those clubs in for a large size as their child grows.
Registration and Cost:
The cost for each session is $350.00. To secure your spot, please register through our Active webpage.
You may also mail or drop off your completed form along with your non-refundable $100.00 deposit. The remaining balance must be paid prior to the first day of each session.
Register 2 or more siblings and receive a 10% discount. UMD employees will receive a $50 discount.
All golf camp sessions are limited to the first 20 juniors between the ages of 6-17.
Please call the golf shop for more information 301-314-GOLF (4653).